Supreme Court rejects Jagan’s plea against HC order for CBI probe

The Supreme Court today dismissed a plea of former Congress leader Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy against the Andhra Pradesh High Court’s order asking the CBI to conduct a probe into his alleged disproportionate assets.

"There is no need to interfere with the oder of the high court," a bench headed by Justice Dalveer Bhandari said. Reddy, son of late chief minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy, had earlier moved the apex court challenging the August 10 order of the high court saying it was not a ‘reasoned decision’.

The high court, in its order, had directed CBI to take their probe into the case to its logical end. The high court’s order came on a petition filed by state Handlooms and Textile Minister P Shankar Rao who had alleged that Jagan’s income rose from Rs 11 lakh in 2004 to Rs 43,000 crore by the time of his father’s death in 2009.

In his petition, Rao had sought a CBI inquiry into the companies that had invested in Jagan’s businesses to allegedly win favours in the form of land allotments and mining leases from the then YSR government.

The high court had set aside the arguments of Jagan’s counsel that the petitioner has political vendetta against him and said the contention of the petitioner needs to be appreciated.

On July 22, the Supreme Court had refused to stay the high court’s order for a preliminary CBI inquiry to ascertain if Jagan owns assets disproportionate to his income. A bench of justices Dalveer Bhandari and Deepak Verma had dismissed Jagan’s plea refusing to interfere with the high court’s order.(PTI)

We would like to hear your comments below: