The release of the Ranbir Kapoor-Priyanka Chopra starrer ‘Anjaana Anjaani’ has been postponed from September 24 to October 1 in view of the verdict in the Ayodhya case, due the same day.
"At first I was in a position where I needed to go ahead with the release on the slated date. However, there is no denying that the Ayodhya isssue is much bigger and needs respect," producer Sajid Nadiadwala, of Nadiadwala Grandson Entertainment Pvt. Ltd, said.
Directed by Siddharth Anand, the film has been co-produced by Eros International.
"Ranbir had addressed the issue to me and Eros and we gave it much thought. Ranbir is, of course, one of the youth icons of our time and his point was a much sensitised and valid one.
Ranbir had earlier said that it was "unfortunate" that ‘Anjaana Anjaani’ was releasing September 24 – the day when the verdict in the 51-year-old Ramjanmabhoomi-Babri Masjid legal dispute would be pronounced.
"Unfortunately our film is coming on that same date. I wish the film wouldn’t have been releasing on Sep 24 because that day we need to seek harmony in our country and live with peace," he’d said.
Sajid Nadiadwala said, "After having mutually discussed it with Eros, we have decided to release the film Oct 1. The film is a very happy one and celebrates life, hence releasing it on a peaceful day would be preferred. I am sure people’s good wishes are with us," he added.
Priyanka added: "This was our wish that the date should be postponed. I think it is a matter of principle. Whatever happens, we should go through this day in a very peaceful way. It is a very important day for India and we should all be together to give the day its deserving importance."
Ranbir continued: "Well, I hope whatever be the verdict, peace be maintained. That was a nightmare for us. The verdict shouldn’t be biased and should be in favour of all Indians."
The 16th century Babri Mosque was demolished by Hindu mobs Dec 6, 1992, following rival claims by Hindu and Muslim groups. The incident triggered communal violence leaving thousands dead across India.
Now Uttar Pradesh is fearing a repeat of communal violence post the verdict, to be announced by a special bench of the Allahabad High Court. The state has already sought 35,000 paramilitary personnel for security duty from the central government. (IANS)